[Fsfe-ie] The cost of proprietary software

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Thu Jan 20 16:30:08 CET 2005

Now I'm no economist, but an interesting thought just occured to me.

How could one estimate the negative effect of proprietary software licensing
to the Irish economy? We regularly hear about the positive, e.g. the
success of Irish software companies abroad, or the importance of large
software multinationals to the Irish economy. But a huge majority of
other companies, government bodies, homes, schools, etc must be licensing
proprietory software, leading to a massive loss of efficiency.

I'm wondering if arguments about the benefits of (proprietary) software to
the Irish economy aren't overstated.

It would be interesting to be able to claim on a brochure that "Proprietary software costs the Irish ecomomy ??? Million Euros per year" or something.

Good luck,

Malcohol.