[Fsfe-ie] Amusing software patent joke... oh no, it's true!

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Mon Feb 7 18:36:56 CET 2005

A popular word processor in Japan to be "destroyed" due to patent dispute
over "help function". (I'm imagining a government vet inserting a syringe
into the source code.) "The patent involves Matsushita's Help Mode function,
which gives on-screen instructions."

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/3BDE72837B1DD5BBCC256F9C0070E506?OpenDocument&pub=Computerworld]

also:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nb20050202a3.htm

It raises the question of whether all the world's word-processors could be
subject to a legal destruction order at the same time. I strongly suspect
that all the world's word-processors infringe some software patent held by
some body. What a demonstration of the "benefits" of software patents that
would be!

Good grief,

Malcohol.