[Fsfe-ie] Prison Over Patents? EU Law Unites Foes

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Mon Dec 19 13:57:20 CET 2005

teresahackett at eircom.net writes:
> Thanks, Ciaran. Do you have a reference/press release for the
> withdrawal of the proposals?

Nothing with a webpage.  I heard about the withdrawl from from the
rapportuers assistant.

In my mail I made a mistake here:

> > The original plan then was to bring IPRED2 back in early January as just
> > a Directive, and merge in some bits from the Council Framework Decision,
> > but recently I've heard that instead of this the Commission will propose
> > a general criminalisation Directive (not specific to "IPR"s), in "early
> > 2006".

What's actually happening is that there will be a new Directive, which will
be a merger of the old Directive plus half of the old Council Framework
Decision.  And there will also be a new Council Framework Decision on
criminalisation (in general, not specific to "IPRs").

For this my source is a reliable colleague.  I'm not sure if there are any
public sources for it.

(There is concern that the Parliament, Council, and Commission will try to
rush the new Directive through without a second reading.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, ___________/       Support FSFE's campaigns against IPRED2
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _/ and software patents by joining the Fellowship