[Fsfe-ie] Prison Over Patents? EU Law Unites Foes

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Thu Dec 15 12:25:56 CET 2005

teresahackett at eircom.net writes:
> Sent to [Upd-discuss] by Seth Johnson. It is referring to IPRED2.

(IPRED2 is of course dead, but some kind of replacement is coming in early
2006, but it will probably be a general criminalisation Directive rather
than being specific to patents and/or copyright.)

> BRUSSELS For once, declared adversaries are on the same side of
> an argument in the technology industry

That's interesting.  At the EP hearing I went to the music distributors and
the brand-name pharma industry were saying IPRED2 didn't go far enough.

For one thing, they wanted "sampling" to be included (ISPs required to give
*all* data to a music-industry group, the group analyses the data, picks the
50 "worst offenders", and sues them).

...maybe they've changed their minds.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, ___________/       Support FSFE's campaigns against IPRED2