[Fsfe-ie] IFSO Wiki updates

IfsoWiki at ifso.ie IfsoWiki at ifso.ie
Wed Aug 31 09:00:03 CEST 2005

 * 193.120.144.172 SoftwareFreedomDayWed, 31 Aug 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     Anyone out there?

      = Software Freedom Day =
    +
    + I urgently need input from members so that our SFD plans do not have to be scaled back etc.  The most useful thing at present is NOT burning as such, it's ''testing and looking for and deciding'' what to burn.
    +
    + If someone can undertake some items on the task list below, I'm more than willing to do more than my share.  I REALLY need feedback of any kind at this stage.
    +
    + Mel
    +
    +
    + === Enfuriating problems with software choices ===
    +
    +  * '''English language educational software:''' People have expressed strong interest in educational software to me this year.  This is consistant with last year, where Freeduc was a huge hit.  Unfortunately the current Freeduc 1.5 has very little English language software.  Oh, and as I remember, the boot: string went most of the way accross the screen to set the language and stop my test laptop hanging.  Version 1.5 (Latest).  Highlights are also available on Slax.
    +  * '''EduUbuntu Breezy:'''  Downloaded a nightly build of Edu-Ubuntu, (28 Aug), and it installs etc. Not a live CD but would be suitable for anything 128mb up, and loads of educational stuff, USEFUL stuff.  People could use it on ''that old PC'' that they thought would have no more use.  Looks even less likely to be in on time for SFD because the Edu stuff is mostly KDE, on a Gnome Desktop.  Short answer, the appropriate KDE dependencies have not been brought over yet, and are unlikely to be done in time.
    +  * '''Fake Educational CDs''': Do not recommend I check out any of the following without telling me why... ''Debian'' Educational Sarge, ''Lorma'', ''Linux4Kids'', ''Tux4kids'', ''Debian Jr,, as '''none''' of these have '''''CD images''''' available.
    +
    + === CD Choices ===
    +
    +  * ''Note:''  Slax is the easiest to remaster and localise by a long way.  For Edu S/W (which users would probably give their kids on '''''the second PC''''') makes it worth considering, especially when you read on...
    +
    +  * ''Slax'';http://slax.linux-live.org/  Version 5.0.6 comes with UnionFS, qemu and all the latest cool stuff.  I noticed there is an (unofficial) module of educational tools.  If the installer works (as the last one did) I'd remaster the KillBill version to include the KDE Educational suite, remaster, test and add the OpenCD extras stuff.  '''''Help needed RIGHT NOW:''''' Download and install Slax 5.0.6 from [Slax];http://slax.linux-live.org/ and check the installer works and that all is stable.  Report back which EXACT version of KDE is installed.
 * CiaranOriordan IPRED2Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     fix wiki list syntax

    - [1] http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/site/en/com/2005/com2005_0276en01.pdf
    +  * [1] http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/site/en/com/2005/com2005_0276en01.pdf
    - [2] http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/IBM-459-22.pdf
    +  * [2] http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/IBM-459-22.pdf
    - [3] http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1542915,00.asp
    +  * [3] http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1542915,00.asp
    - [4] http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween10.html
    +  * [4] http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween10.html
    - [5] http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,99721,00.html Judge calls SCO's lack of evidence "astonishing"
    +  * [5] http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,99721,00.html Judge calls SCO's lack of evidence "astonishing" URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/IPRED2?action=diff