[Fsfe-ie] Irish computer Mag: 20 minutes, the cost of a tree!

mel at linuxfactory.ie mel at linuxfactory.ie
Sat Aug 20 23:14:57 CEST 2005

Dear Eamon,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm holding off on formally asking
for a suspension of my free mailings of "Computer Scope", such is the
irrelevance of the publication to those who don't have a vested interest
in the commercial software industry, and all the Spyware, Anti-virus, FUD,
Patents, Digital Rights Management and "Intellectual Property" discussions
going on at the moment.

I despair while doing so, but still flick the pages of Computer Scope, in
the hope that the penny will drop that the world has moved on from
commercial software, and the evidence can be seen by the tactics used by
the likes of Microsoft and others, to lobby to see introduced, legislation
which would have the convenient side-effect of criminising under
intellectual property law, those who dare to interfere with their
perceived market monopoly.

Those who hijack EU legislation (on patents and intellectual property) in
an attempt to sustain their business model, really HAVE lost the technical
battle.  They just need to be exposed for that they are.

Did you notice I used the phrase "Intellectual property" a couple of times
here.  Without looking back to the earlier paragraph, ask yourself now
"What IS intellectual property, exactly?".

Did the answer include the words "Trademarks", "Copyrights", and/or
"Patents" in any particular order.  I'll be upfront here, I don't know
what "Intellectual property" is.  It appears to be nothing more than a
blurring phrase used to mash (at least these three) totally dissimilar
definitions (Trademarks, Copyrights and Patents) into one mess under one
umbrella to quell (what would otherwise be) public outrage.  The public
just end up concluding that "It's about something to avoid piracy and
illegal copying", and don't question further.  Educate them!

Were you aware that two attempts were made to introduce US-Style software
patents in the EU, which would have subjected to patents and litigation,
almost every idea that is used by software developers.  This would have
destroyed the EU software industry as we know it, and yet the coverage and
education provided to Irish Business by Computer Scope was close to nil.
Incidentally, the Commissioner meetings where the Software Patents
legislation was going to be put through as an "A-Item" were at an
AGRICULTURE minister's meeting and a FISHERIES meeting.  In case you're
wondering (and you should), I checked these reports in disbelief, and
discovered them to be true.  Check the mail archives at http://ifso.ie/
for yourself.

The latest threat to market competition is another round of "Intellectual
Property" legislation which would also have the convenient side-effect of
outlawing market competition to "Intellectual property" holders.  So,
there's that question again.. "What IS intellectual property anyway".
Nobody knows, and that's why it's entirely open to abuse and spin.

I would appreciate if you could pass my comments on to the relevant
people, because as a free software user, I am entirely disgusted that what
business percieve as a source of education and information, is being used
as a tool of the advertisers (who are invariably going to have
diametrically opposing views).

As these are the people who pay your bills through advertising, I don't
expect a sympathetic hearing for my views.  Neither do I expect coverage
to be given to Software Freedom Day.

I'm not sure what to hope to expect as a result of sending this mail...
honesty I hope, but I'd settle for:
*  Some indication that an attempt has been made to find the details on
these issues on FFII.org - ifso.ie  and softwarefreedomday.org
*  A visit to Groklaw would show an interest in both getting up to speed,
and passing on the result to your readers
*  You may want me to write for you (if your attitude is right) or may
want me to suggest people who should write for you.  I could!
*  I may decide that the publication is too far compromised to be worth
receiving (even for free as now).  20 minutes was the longest reading it's
got in the last year, and this was usually because of some
software-neutral content.  At this rate, I feel environmentally guilty for
continuing to receive it, but wish to give you all a chance to correct the
content.
*  I have more than enough enlightened reading in Linux Format and
LinuxUser magazines (both UK based)... so much so that I stopped my
subscription to Linux Magazine (which couldn't compete for my time)
against the content of the other two.

I hope you don't pick this up wrong the wrong way.  I'm desperate to see a
magazine used as a source of education and information to business, and
fulfil it's funtion.  At the moment, Non-commercial software receives only
lip-service, so it doesn't.

Just so you know my perspective here, I run my own Linux Business
http://linuxfactory.ie/ and I'm a member of both the Midlands Linux User
Group http://midlands.linux.ie/ and the Irish Free Software Organisation
http://ifso.ie/ but I'm speaking here in an entirely personal capacity and
not on behalf of these organisations.  I'm presently involved in
organising activities for Software Freedom Day on September 10th
http://softwarefreedomday.org/ which is taking up all my spare time.

Genuinely looking forward to the reply from the relevant person, and
improved content in the magazine.

Kindest regards,
Mel