[Fsfe-ie] DRM letter (quick reply, deadline today)

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Wed Sep 15 22:13:09 CEST 2004

Wording is fine, more a general question:

Is what we are asking for sufficiently specific, or do we risk being
dismissed as simply ranting against the status quo?

As a diligent student of "Yes Minister", it seems that vague wording is
a gift to civil servants with their own agenda.  In part this text
seems to be critical of this very fact, but with only vague
recommendations as to how to address it, recommendations that can
quickly be dismissed.

It seems that we should be illustrating specific remedies, such as the
appointment of independent experts in the area to assess the
implications and effects of these laws, along with convincing evidence
that whomever they are using right now is clearly inadequate (probably
civil servants).

We need to emphasise that this is a radical change to copyright law
with far-reaching implications, and that it should be given the
impartial expert review that it deserves, and which it does not
currently enjoy.

Ian.