[Fsfe-ie] DRM: European Commission not interested in CivilSociety's position

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 13 23:32:53 CEST 2004

This sounds so familiar!

Here in the States, we had a similar situation, and based on the
agenda, we just decided to demand to be heard.  We knew the fix
was in, but we also knew that this was the obligatory public
disclosure step, after which they would be able to act as if they
had had proper hearings.  Thus, we essentially kept them from
letting the meeting seem to be a success:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/07/18/0155208&tid=6
http://www.technology.gov/PRel/ma020710.htm

The result?  We stopped government-mandated content control on
the broadband Internet.  This was one half of the Hollings Bill
(the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act),
which I'm sure you've heard of.  It proposed to require content
control be built into all digital devices.  Instead of presenting
the Bill for debate and vote in Congress, they instead tried to
establish precedent by having this workshop at the Commerce
Department.

The other half of the Hollings Bill was digital TV.  After the
DRM workshop failed, they scrambled over to the FCC and initiated
the broadcast flag proposal -- so fast that they got the
footnotes in the notice of proposed rulemaking messed up.  We
mobilized and got 4,600 comments to the FCC (now about 7,600).
The FCC is now being sued over the broadcast flag.

Seth