[Fsfe-ie] Tuesday's Council vote in doubt?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri May 21 13:28:45 CEST 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:10:33PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Ian Clarke thought:

> parliament to retract their vote, and if this succeeds, the qualified
> majority could still fail.
>
> Could it be true that Tuesday's battle is not yet lost?  Does anyone
> have more information on this?

Is this a good thing or not?  My understanding is that, if it fails, the
status quo stands, while if it succeeds, the second reading at the EP has
a chance to redo the amendments and solidly forbid swpats for good.  Of
course, it could get abandoned after the EP second reading too...

The status quo AIUI is that computer software patents are not allowed but
that it still requires fighting existing wrongly granted ones so that we
are currently in the position of having swpats...

Conor (confused...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)