[Fsfe-ie] Flyers to hand out at Stallman's talks ?

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Thu May 20 10:33:04 CEST 2004

David O'Callaghan wrote:
> I would be interested to know if there is a software patents leaflet out
> there somewhere that we could use as the basis for this. As far as I'm
> concerned it doesn't *have* to be right up-to-date on EU matters: I
> don't expect people hearing the issues for the first time to go straight
> to their MEPs.

I would almost say the opposite.  There are two issues we need to get
across:

1) Software patents are bad
2) How do we prevent software patents in the EU?

Stallman will argue 1) better than any leaflet could, so the leaflet
should focus on 2) by explaining the situation and what people can do
about it.

I spoke to some MEPs yesterday with varying degrees of success, but many
of them indicated that it might be more productive to have the
conversation closer to the 2nd vote in the EP, rather than now when many
are distracted by elections.  The general consensus was that "reinstate
the September 03 amendments" was a simple message that was easy for MEPs
to agree with.

Ian.