[Fsfe-ie] [Fwd: Re: Press enquiry]

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 19 00:26:08 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Press enquiry

Fergus Cassidy, from the Sunday Tribune, wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> I'm writing from Irealnd and I got your email addy from the IFSO mailing
> list.
>
> I'm working on a piece at the moment on today's decision. In light of the
> result, I was hoping you could give me a quote on what you think will be the
> way forward for FFII on this issue.

"Looking at the text of the debate, and what was said in some of the
press conferences afterwards, it is clear that a number of member states
were completely bamboozled by the Commission and the Presidency as to
the actual effects of what they were voting on.

But the battle is not over.  The directive now goes back to the European
Parliament.  It is harder to press amendments at second reading - it
requires absolute majorities - but those were the sort of numbers we
managed to get at first reading.  So the vote in the Autumn is likely to
be on a knife-edge.

That makes it especially important now to make MEP candidates aware of
just how important this is to so many of their constituents".

----

And I should also plug the talk that Richard Stallman is giving at TCD
next week, all welcome.

	Richard Stallman
	"The Danger of Software Patents"

	24th of May at 19:30

free; all welcome

The venue will be the MacNeill theatre, which is located in the Hamilton
building at the east end of TCD (near Pearse St. dart station). There is
no charge to attend the talk.