[Fsfe-ie] Irish proposal on software patents passed

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Tue May 18 18:53:00 CEST 2004

Ian Clarke <ian at locut.us> writes:
> Ian Clarke wrote:
> > News just in is that the Irish proposal on software patents was
> > passed,
>
> I should be clear that this is an early report, and so I can't be 100%
> sure (but the source is reliable).  We will know more in the next few
> hours.

All the news sources confirm it:
http://kwiki.ffii.org/index.cgi?SwpatcninoEn

here's one from the top:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39155028,00.htm
says :

  Update: After a stalled effort on Monday, the European Council has
  approved controversial changes to a draft directive, meaning that Europe
  is now likely to see widespread patenting of software programs

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/