[Fsfe-ie] patent letter to be sent thursday night (v2)

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Thu May 6 18:14:23 CEST 2004

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
>>How about "Software patents impose artificial limits on innovation,
>>and are therefore contrary to the very freedom that nurtures
>>innovation in the software industry".
>
> I think the original is better.

Ok, I agree mine is too wordy - but the original still seems awkward to
me.  One more try - up to you whether you take it or leave it:

"Software patents impose artificial limits on people's ability to
innovate.  Innovation thrives in an ecosystem of free and unencumbered
ideas, and will be inhibited by the imposition of software patents."

> I'm a bit short of research time though, so if anyone has specifics...

One quote I like is:

"If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of
today's ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry
would be at a complete standstill today." - Bill Gates

Dug this up:

In the US, a company called Test Central Inc claims to have a patent on
the idea of online testing, and has sent threatening letters to
educational institutions demanding payment.
   - http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i29/29a03101.htm

Ian.