[Fsfe-ie] could IFSO host a talk by RMS?

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Mon May 3 19:41:21 CEST 2004

> Are you suggestion IFSO put on the talk on it's own or are you asking
> for help with the room/finances?

I can organise/finance everything except a room.  I wouldn't know where
to start, and it might be too expensive for a member of the public like
me to rent a big room at the weekend.

So I need help with the room.  Finance help would be nice since my
current plan is to use up my credit card limit, but it's not a show
stopper.

Aidan mailed me saying maybe Maynooth, but It'd be better to have it
closer to Dublin city centre.

It's 6 years since he was here, and it could be another 6 before he
returns, so I think we should only do this *if* we can do a great job of
it.

> Who is the talk for? Is it going to be a case of preaching to the
> converted again, or are we aiming this at general aeudience?

General audience.  If he was doing a software patents talk, I don't see
how anyone but the converted would show up.

His free software speech should be of interest to every [G]LUG member,
hobbyist, computer student, and many IT workers.

Also, if the venue isn't in or close to the city centre, I think only
the converted would make the trip - so is there any venue in the city
centre (academic or not, trinity being ideal IMO) that we could use?

Failing the city centre, what's the next best thing? UCD?

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/