[Fsfe-ie] swpat MEP voting guide?

Ciaran O'Riordan coriordan at compsoc.com
Thu Jun 10 02:27:57 CEST 2004

> > Warning: Do not jump to the easy conclusion that we should all avoid Labour.
> > If we could get some known anti-swpat reps into the PSE, they could talk
> > sense into others.  Like Avril Doyle (FG) did in the PPE-DE party.
>
> hmm, PPE-DE didn't seem to vote too well last Sep, by the beauprez
> database...

PPE-DE were the most pro-swpat party in the Parliament, but they're also the
biggest (with 232 of the EPs' 625 MEPs) - of them, 58 voted with us, and the
other 75% voted against us.

So PPE-DE are bad - but there is a lot to be gained by getting some good
anti-swpat MEPs into that party.

The only Irish party in PPE-DE are FG.  Last years' FG MEPs that broke the
party line and voted "our way" were: Mary Banotti, John Walls Cushnahan,
Avril Doyle, and John Joseph McCartin.

(McCartin and Cushnahan didn't vote completely "our way", but they were
mostly with us.  I'm pretty sure Doyle isn't running.)

(Dana Rosemary Scallon (independent) is also in PPE-DE, she abstained from
voting last September.)

> >  *All 6 of the FF MEPs voted as we asked them to!* (and none abstained)

>  FF can be recommended?

It seems so.  I hadn't spotted FF's stance until just now when I was
collating the info.

(I'm writing the mail to ILUG now, I'll also send a copy to fsfe-ie, but
afterwards I'll be out of mail-shot until some time tomorrow evening.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/