[Fsfe-ie] MEP info-pack re: patents

Rory Browne robro at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Mon Jun 7 17:27:35 CEST 2004

Hi

I was at a talk today presented by an MEP candidate. Afterwards, I asked
him his position on the patentablity of software, to which he told me
that he wasn't aware of the issue, and that I was the first person to
present it to him. He asked if it was something to be concerned about,
to which I replied, that it was something that concerned anyone involved
with computers, with the possible execption of large companies, like IBM
or Microsoft. He then gave me his email address, asking for more
details.

Is there any small, easy-to-read guide, prepared to present to MEP's on
this issue who don't know much about it, and don't have the time with
elections coming up to read up on such issues.

Regards
Rory