[Fsfe-ie] The MPL, what is it?

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 4 15:15:22 CEST 2004

On Friday, June 4, 2004 at 13:59 +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> Hey all,
> 	Given that there's speculation that Sun will release Solaris under a
> Mozilla Public Licence type licence can someone tell me what is in this
> licence?  How does it compare to the GPL or LGPL?

It's similar to the LGPL, and is a free license in terms of the DFSG
and is OSI approved.

There are compatibility issues with the GPL that make it impossible to
legally link MPL and GPL code (if the issuer of the MPL license
desires it, it's possible to fix this by dual-licensing under the
GPL). More here: http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/docs/mozgpl.html (and
probably elsewhere).

Annotated MPL here: http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1-annotated.html

--