[Fsfe-ie] Minutes 2004-07-20

Ciaran O'Riordan coriordan at compsoc.com
Wed Jul 21 06:26:22 CEST 2004

In attendance:
Aidan Delaney
Glenn Strong
David Cathcart
David Barrett
Stephen Howell
Malcolm Tyrrell
Ciaran O'Riordan

Today's meeting was disorganised, so we've decided to hold another meeting
next week, probably next tuesday (July 27th).  The venue will have to be
confirmed, but details will be posted to fsfe-ie, probably today (wednesday
21st).

Some people had to leave early, so we squeezed the official business into a
few minutes, and decided we'd confirm or redebate it at the next meeting.

Minutes:
 * How should IFSO recognise donors?
    => we should have a "thanks" section on the website, and donors should
       be grouped i.e. 1-100 euro, 101-250, ...  (the actual grouping has
       yet to be discussed).

 * How often should accounts and financial info be published?
    => Once a year, at or just before the AGM, before committee elections.

 * When should IFSO apply to become official associates of FSFE?
    => Some time this year, no rush.  Maybe we should make a big deal
       (read: press release) about it.

 * Software Freedom Day, what should we do?
    => No one present supported the idea of handing out CDs on Grafton St.
       Many takers would just bin them.  There was also no support for
       handing out CDs in business districts - fear of viruses would prevent
       people from using them.  Handing out leaflets often needs a permit,
       and very few takers will be interested when they see what they took.

    => We should do something though, and to get started we should sign up
       as a team on softwarefreedomday.org

    => IFSO t-shirts?  6 euro for low quality t-shirts (any colour) with one
       colour print (any one colour).  Could be okay - other prices are
       being looked for.

 * Organising Events:
    => Should we go for one conference (multiple speakers), or multiple
       (2-4) talks with one speaker?  There was a lot of discussion about
       how to organise a conference, but I don't think anyone was behind it
       by the end.  I pushed the multiple talks idea, suggestions being Eben
       Moglen, Georg Greve, Hartmut Pilch, and Alan Cox.  The goal being to
       get free software users (LUGers, lurkers, etc.) interested in helping
       IFSO.

    => Malcolm was also interested in events aimed at software users who are
       probably not currently aware of free software.

 * Promoting Free Software:
    => Get people to sign up as IFSO members at freshers week in college?
       nope, colleges wouldn't let us do that.

    => Get our Live CD put into college (or netsoc?) welcome packs? yes, but
       who's going to burn all the CDs?  We have one offer of mass CD
       burning which we'll look into, and we'll price other options.

    => We should ask Intersocs, or various individual Socs, if we can work
       together on some of these things.

End of minutes.  Next meeting in about 7 days time with similar agenda.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/