[Fsfe-ie] A tribute to Jack Valenti

Ciaran O'Riordan coriordan at compsoc.com
Fri Jul 2 17:37:54 CEST 2004

In march of this year, at the age of 82, Jack Valenti left the MPAA.  His
successor will be Dan Glickman (never heard of him).

Of course I disagree with Valenti's position on copyright, however, one good
thing about the man was his willingness to publicly debate "our side" on our
issues.

But good ol' Jack hated "fair use".  He hated that a parody of a copyrighted
work, and using excerpts of a copyrighted work is not illegal.  So I think
he'd hate that it was legal for someone to make a remix of one of his talks:

Audio:
http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/valentiRemix.mp3

Transcript: (but listening to the audio is much funnier)
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/000858

More about Valenti:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Valenti

--