[Fsfe-ie] Enforcement directive-draft IFSO letter

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 26 00:00:57 CET 2004

teresahackett writes:
> > Bernhard Kaindl <bernhard.kaindl at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > 1)I'm not an expert for this directive and other groups may have
> > other or additonal ideas, but I would like to ask if it's ok to use
> > it as a base for a letter, e.g. by FFII (http://ffii.org)?

yes, this is a great idea and should be standard procedure.

It'll save duplicating effort, it'll help orgs that don't have time to
write a letter from scratch, and it'll save IFSO from trying to guess
who the representatives in other countries are.

For the patents letter, I'm writing it with Ireland in mind, but when
it's ready I want to send it to all the friendly EU orgs and suggest
they customise it and send it to their representatives.

(I'll *try* get another patents draft to the list tonight)

> So it looks as if the debate will take place on
> 9.2.2004 and the vote on 25.2.2004. Deadline for amendments is
> 5.2.2004 at 12.00.

so we should send the letter by the end of January at the latest, and if
possible we should send it to friendly orgs before then.

The only thing missing from the current letter is that we forgot to
complain about the requirement for convicted copyright infringers to
publish an apology in newspapers selected by the prosecutor, at the
infringers expense.  Should this be added? or did we decided to leave it
out since that punishment is at the discretion of the courts?

--
Ciaran O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/