[Fsfe-ie] Notes from the last meeting

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 19 13:37:43 CET 2004

Hi everyone,

I've included my notes on the last IFSO discussion below. Apologies to
absolutely everyone for my tardiness in posting this.

The date of the next IFSO meeting is Thursday the 12th of February
(keeping to our usual 2nd Thursday rules).

January 8th 2004
 Present: Glenn Strong
          Ciaran O'Riordan
          Malcolm Tyrrell
          Aidan Delaney
          Teresa Hackett
          Mel McWeeney
          Alan Toner
  * There was a quick discussion about getting a PO Box, but the cost
 was considerable. It was decided not do purchase one now.
  * There was a general consensus that the web site looks well. A few
 suggestions were made to improve the content.
  * We were asked  to note that the mailing list archives are viewable
 by non list-members.
  * Arranging a committee GPG key was discussed.
  * Aidan volunteered to act as a contact for new members who wish to
    join by post.
  * We accepted membership application from those present.

  * Teresa informed us that Software Patents would be discussed again
    in May, and that there are some dates quite soon that we should
    act by. She offered to post more information to the list (which
    has now happened).
  * Ciaran offered to produce a draft letter on patents, which could
    be circulated for discussion.
  * The IPR Directive is on the agenda for the 9th February meeting of
    the Parliament, and we should consider contacting our MEPs before
    that date.
  * There was some discussion about a possible IFSO conference. It was
    decided to defer this for further discussion (particularly
    regarding funding).
  * Alan distributed a number of copies of the "World Information"
    newsletter.

And, naturally, all the usual discussion on linux distributions,
emacs, and everything else.

--
Glenn Strong