[Fsfe-ie] /membership/ Subscriptions and PO Box ?

teresahackett at eircom.net teresahackett at eircom.net
Thu Jan 8 16:06:19 CET 2004

As Adam says, maybe not a good idea to post bank account details to web. In my previous job, I got targetted by Nigerian fraudesters, they're quite clever in how they try to get money out of your account once they have the details. On the other hand, I haven't had a cheque book for ten years, I don't think banks in Europe even issue them anymore. Recently in the Netherlands, I paid 20Euro bank charges to raise a 25Euro cheque! So I'd prefer bank transfer, but let's discuss tonight how best to arrange it.

Teresa

Adam Moran <adam at diamat.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://ifso.info/membership.html says:
>
> > Membership fees can be paid in person to any committee member, or by cash transfer to our bank account in Ireland. Paper receipts are available for all in person transactions. Bank account details will be posted here Real Soon Now.
>
> 1.	I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to post the bank account details
> on  the site; I remember being advised against it some months ago by a
> bank ... but I don't often work on 'e-commerce' sites ?
>
> How about:
>
> "Please send cheques payable to 'Irish Free Software Organisation' to:"
>
> 2.	Do you think it's a good idea to get a Post Office Box for this and
> general purposes ?
>
> --
> adam

Teresa Hackett
114 Cedar House
Mespil Estate, Sussex Road
Dublin 4, Ireland
Email: teresahackett at eircom.net
Dutch Mobile: +316 523 63486 (until 19.3.2004)
NEW! Irish Mobile +353 87 6253768