[Fsfe-ie] ifso.info & launch on monday

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 5 05:10:56 CET 2004

"Niall Douglas" <s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com> writes:
> Re: the IFSO website. I'd personally not mention Richard Stallman at
> all because I don't agree with him his name evokes bad vibes among
> many business leaders

I'll leave his name there.
I disagree with your claim.

> Also, it's "software libre" according to correct Spanish and Italian
> grammar

"Libre Software" is not a translation, it's a multilingual unambiguous
term coined by the European Commission.

> I also feel it's slightly GNU-centric.

The word "GNU" appears three times on the entire site: twice in "The
Free Software movement", and once in the list of examples of Free
Software.  This list also includes FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mozilla,
SpamAssassin, Freenet, KDE, Apache, and Linux.

> about whether there is more MIT/BSD/LGPL software around than GPL. I
> think it's pretty conclusively the former from any searching of
> google, but it's very hard to prove. If so, IFSO should surely
> concentrate more on non-GPL which ideologically is a less bitter pill
> for the business mindset to swallow anyway.

IFSO is not about GPL, BSD, MIT, GNU, or LGPL.  It's about Free
Software.

GPL isn't mentioned anywhere on the site (although it probably should
be, some other time...)

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/