[Fsfe-ie] Charlie McCreevy

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Sat Aug 14 20:25:07 CEST 2004

On 14 Aug 2004, at 11:26, Seth Johnson wrote:
> Ian Clarke wrote:
>> According to this:
>>    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0813newcommi.html
>>
>> ...Charlie McCreevy, former Irish finance minister, will be taking
>> over
>> from Frits Bolkestein in the European Commission, and will be
>> responsible for steering the software patents directive from now on.
>>
>> What do we know about his position on swpat, and does anyone know
>> whether he has been lobbied on this issue yet?
>

> I found not a lot on software patents per se on Google, but lots on his
> role,
>
> He seems to be very central in policy associated with their recent
> apparent
> economic upswing

Hmmmm, I don't really know much about the reasons for the recent
apparent economic upswing in Ireland, however I get the impression that
some attribute it to a slavish capitulation to the interests of large
US-based tech companies.

If that theory is accurate, and McCreevy was a part of it, then it
suggests that he may not be too receptive to our arguments.

This is no reason not to try though, he would need to be something
special to be worse than Bolkestein :-)

Ian.