[Fsfe-ie] The Sunday Business Post and the Live CD

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Mon Apr 26 14:57:59 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:42:13PM +0100, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 11:41, Ben North wrote:
> > Who would count as "distributing" the software from the point of view of
> > complying with the licences?
>
> Whatever we do, lets get proper advice on this before discussing it with
> the newspaper since it would be a shame to scare them off unnecessarily
> if we suggest they may have obligations that they actually don't have.
>
> IANAL, but I would guess that provided the source code is *available*
> (ie. downloadable from the Morphix website), then it doesn't really
> matter who it is available from...?
>
> Either way, we should contact someone at the FSF to get a clear answer
> if there is even the slightest uncertainty over this issue *before* we
> raise it with the newspaper.

3b below seems to the relevant section, it seems fairly clear. 3c doesn't
seem to apply to the SBP. If IFSO payed the SBP to distribute the software
for us it 3c might be ok but that seems a bit shifty to me.

3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1
and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    * a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    * source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1
    * and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    * b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years,
    * to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of
    * physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable
    * copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the
    * terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for
    * software interchange; or,

    * c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
    * distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed
    * only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the
    * program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in
    * accord with Subsection b above.)