[Fsfe-ie] Ms. Harney on Newstalk 106 tomorrow (Friday)

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Thu Apr 15 15:12:20 CEST 2004

Cool. Although you might need to spell some bits out a bit more as we don't
know if McWilliams has the first clue about this. So maybe make number 4
something like

4. A regime of software patents makes it extremely difficult for small
companies or contractors to implement web sites or other software
applications for clients due to the cost in time and money of ensuring that
no patents are infringed.

other points of relevance (but maybe this is too many points)

5. The speed of progress of the IT industry makes it totally unsuitable for
patent protection. By the time a patent has been processed, granted and made
public, it's likely that several other researchers will have indepedently
discovered the same solution.

6. Every programmer is a "researcher", developing their own innovative
solutions to the problems they find, this means there is a massive body of
prior art out there that is impossible to search. This inevitably leads to
the granting of patents for inventions that are not new. Unfortunately
having a patent overturned is still a hugely expensive legal process even
when there is obvious prior art.

Also change populat to popular,