[Fsfe-ie] Ms. Harney on Newstalk 106 tomorrow (Friday)

Paul Reilly paulr at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Apr 15 13:02:04 CEST 2004

> Does the Irish Presidency recognise the risks to innovation and
> competition in the software industry that software patents create, and
> if so, why discard the European Parliaments efforts to address these
> risks?
> """

I think Ian's wording is better.
It throws the question back on Harney.

It might also be worth saying something along the lines of how
patents will protect "big business" with huge patent
portfolio's at the expense of the SME sector who are prevented
from innovating by open-ended patents. ie make the case that the balance
is too strongly in favour of larger corporations, and that Ms Harney
should be working harder to promote the development of our local sofware
industry - something patents will harm.

Paul