[Fsfe-ie] E-Voting letter

Cathal Mc Ginley cathalmcginley at eircom.net
Thu Apr 8 23:26:35 CEST 2004

Ian Clarke wrote:

>Well, I know it isn't a popular opinion on this list, but I think that
>making the e-voting source code public is a distant second to voter
>verified audit trails and I am concerned that advocating the
>"nice-to-have" will only reduce our chances of getting the
>"need-to-have".  In effect, we are prioritising the narrow goals of
>advocating free software over the wider goal of protecting democracy.

My letter doesn't advocate a Free Software solution, it criticizes a
non-Free Software solution, while also (twice or more) drawing attention
to the problem of knowing that the program you've reviewed is the
program being used.

Essentially, I agree with Jason Kitcat, of the free e-democracy project:

"Electronic voting is a bad idea - it's the inappropriate use of
technology in the wrong place."

The full quote is here - http://www.evoting.cs.may.ie/opinion.shtml

The ICTE submissions summary lists 9 instances asking for source code.
The possibility of an "open source" solution has been raised in an
article in the Irish Times (mentioned by Éibhear). The possibility of a
"false sense of security" with a compromise solution is certainly high.
I thought there would be a place for IFSO to offer a solid critique of
the problems of e-voting with private software, in terms of loss of
freedom and threat to democracy, without actually explicitly advocating
e-voting at all.

Just my 1.57513p

    -   C.

--