(Fwd) The GPL (was: Re: [Fsfe-ie] 1-page letter, faxes at the

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 28 22:32:43 CEST 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 03:36:00AM +0100, David Golden wrote:

> (demand reciprocal transparency, not privacy, one of my bones of contention
> with the FSF is their privacy stance.).

Please explain this bone.  I might be able to clear it up, and others
on the list might have similar bones.

> I do hope one day the GPL will become unnecessary.

Why? or how?

Users must have the four freedoms, something must require that they
be given these freedoms.

Governments could pass laws requiring software distributors to give
all users these freedoms, but would you trust all the worlds
governments to do this and not revert the law later?

Ciaran O'Riordan