[Fsfe-ie] 1-page letter, faxes at the ready (IFSO, irish org)

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Thu Sep 25 16:47:15 CEST 2003

Maybe a name, logo, and informal association would be good for this list.

As I've mentioned here before, I also have seperate aims.  I'd like to
form an Ireland-based Free Software organisation.  It would not eat
this list, it should have it's own lists.  Support has been shown for
this idea and the name "Irish Free Software Organisation" (ifso.ie).

OT: re: IFSO in general

I hope to discuss this further on the list soon, but I'll outline
some points here since the topic was brought up:

I believe that every software user should have the freedoms promoted
by FSF, and I'm committed to making this happen.

In the past two years, I've met with the staff and committees of
half a dozen national, European, and American Free Software and
digital-rights groups.  I've been looking at how they've run
their orgs and trying to figure out the most effective methods.

I think it's time for an Irish org.  This org will not be set up
just for the sake of it, and not to create a priesthood or a divide
between board and community.  It will be set up to promote and
defend Free Software.  I'm going to work hard to make it effective,
and I'm looking for others who will share this goal.

>From looking at other orgs, I'm convinced of one thing: it must
be open and transparent.  It must focus on providing a service
to the community, to enable others.

We all have fulltime jobs or college schedules, and we'll all
be new to this level of software-freedom activity.  The task
is huge, but I think we're ready to start.

So, who will be on the board?
Picking a board may involve hurting peoples feelings.  It has to be
done, we'll have elections after one or two years.  Anyone that is
committed won't let hurt feelings stop them from contributing anyway.
The board will probably be formed from an agreement between members of
this list.  This list is a place where people can get help and
encourage others.  Capable people will become (semi-)obvious after
a while.

ciaran.

[an association]