[Fsfe-ie] directive passed, summary

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Sep 24 20:38:14 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:24:17PM +0100, sean at odonnell.nu wrote:

> [...]find out exactly what is in and what is out,

> [...]One thing i would be very interested to know is exactly how did irish meps
> vote on this yesterday, but i have'nt a clue where to get that info.

The complete voting results are now at:
http://www.europarl.eu.int/direct/documents/fr/vote/Resultats/Mercredi/Appels%20nominaux%202003-09-24.doc

Gathering info from this 154 page doc is not a pleasure.
Amendments are referenced by number so you'll need to
crossreference it with the amendment texts at:
http://www.europarl.eu.int/direct/application/fr/vote/contentAmend.asp?num=A5-0238.2003

I'm working on this at the moment.

> Quoting Ian Clarke <ian at dodo.freenetproject.org>:
>
> > While the dust hasn't settled yet - this looks like a good outcome,

Yes.  I hear the Article 2 amendments which define "technical",
"technical field", "invention", and "industry" have been
adopted.  If this is true, we've won this round.  (I'm verifying
this now, I'll post when done.)

> > the next hurdle will be getting it accepted by the EC.

> > [...]Anyway, the question now is where and to whom should we
> > now direct our attention?

"The Council" (Which I'm certain is short for Counsil of Ministers).

This is a committee of 15, one from each country.  I haven't checked
who the Irish Minister is yet.

Anyone that wants more info on the process can read:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/about/abc/abc_21.html

(halfway down the page, a diagram and text explanation of the
 "co-decision" procedure)