[Fsfe-ie] directive passed, summary

Ian Clarke ian at dodo.freenetproject.org
Wed Sep 24 19:59:19 CEST 2003

While the dust hasn't settled yet - this looks like a good outcome, but
assuming that it is - the next hurdle will be getting it accepted by the
EC.  The following threat is of particular concern:

"If I may be blunt... the process of renegotiation of the European
Patent Convention would not require any contribution from this
Parliament," Bolkestein told the Parliament.

Basically Bolkestein, having learned what the democratic process has
decided, is threatening to circumvent the EP altogether.  How he can so
blithely dismiss the outcome of this hard-fought battle is somewhat
beyond me, sounds like many in the EU need to be reminded that they work
for the people of the EU, not the other way around.

Anyway, the question now is where and to whom should we now direct our
attention?

Ian.