[Fsfe-ie] Re: Patents, current situation?

Ian Clarke ian at dodo.freenetproject.org
Mon Sep 22 18:22:23 CEST 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:07:36AM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> > Article 5 (a) (new): Free Software always exempt (amd 62)
> Maybe it would be easier for us to just push these two.  If Free Software is
> exempt from patenting and litigation (I'm assumung thats what the ammendment
> means) then we're on a home run.

I completely disagree, I am concerned about patents because they will
affect the entire industry, not just free software.  Many of the people
that have devoted their time and resources towards this fight care about
the freedom to create non-free software, protecting free software and
throwing non-free software to the wolves would be a total betrayal.

Ian.

Ian Clarke                			            ian at locut.us
Coordinator, The Freenet Project	      http://freenetproject.org/
Weblog				     http://slashdot.org/~sanity/journal