[Fsfe-ie] Latest on patents, JURI not involved, my mistakes

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Thu Sep 4 03:45:51 CEST 2003

On 3 Sep 2003 at 18:13, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> He said the FFII amendment proposal pages were a good place
> to point MEPs to.  They should give a good picture of what
> we want.  I'm not sure I agree with this, the FFII site can
> sound quite angry at times, maybe we should mirror and
> editted copy.

Be cautious of copyright here. While they do sound angry to us,
remember they were written by non-native english speakers who often
have problems getting the tone correct. The same goes in all EP
documents really, so it's not so bad.

> So, probably the best thing we could do would be to make a
> list of our own amendments (stolen wholesale from others),
> and pass that list on to our MEPs as a voting guide.  (and
> include a justification for the merits of each amendment.)

We must be careful not to split the hair too finely. I've tended to
go it alone on my campaigns because as always, my proposals are
extremely radical (too radical for adoption at the present time).
However if your argument is nearly the same as the FSF's or FFII's,
then you should really try to coordinate with them as closely as
possible. Cooperation is always better than competition and besides,
psychology teaches us that humans tend to drown out noise in favour
of single voices.

Cheers,
Niall