[Fsfe-ie] Intro

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Tue Sep 2 05:31:57 CEST 2003

Hi All,

On Ciaran's suggestion I have signed up to this mailing list, and I
just wanted to introduce myself.  I have noticed that you guys seem to
be one of the most coherent faces of the anti-patent movement.

I am the founder and coordinator of the Freenet Project, a reasonably
well known free software project that has been around since 1999.  I
am also the CEO of a US-based software company, and am involved in a
variety of other commercial projects.  I am a native of Navan, Co.
Meath, although I have been living in California for the past few
years.  I plan to move to Edinburgh, Scotland in early October.

The issue of software patents in the EU has been of great concern to
me, not just as a free software developer, but as a software developer
in general (I also develop non-free software).  One of my reasons for
leaving the US is the insane patent system here as it relates to
software, clearly I don't want the EU to fall into the same trap.
Back in June I contacted Avril Doyle, MEP for Leinster, to alert her
to this issue - and it is my understanding that she has been
supportive of the anti-patent movement since then.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to introduce myself and will try to follow
developments and help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Ian Clarke                			            ian at locut.us
Coordinator, The Freenet Project	      http://freenetproject.org/