[Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week

adam beecher lists at beecher.net
Mon Oct 27 22:08:52 CET 2003

> I'd just like to say at this point that I veer more towards the Free
> Software position than the Open Source position; the point I intended to
> make (I tend to ramble, so I probably didn't make it :) was that there
> are a lot of people (such as you) who can help promote the goals Ciaran
> mentioned who might be put off by the Free Software philosophy (or some
> subset).

This is precisely the point I was trying to put across. I don't write much
software, but when I do I release it under free software licences. That
being said, I have to say that I think the entire free software philosophy
is a contradiction in terms -- it's restrictive by definition. This is why I
favour the term "open", and why I would prefer to join a catch-all
organisation. However, since there isn't one, I rather think I'd like to
stop going around now...

adam