Objective of IFSO Re: [Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week [adelaney at cs.may.ie]

Aidan Delaney adelaney at cs.may.ie
Mon Oct 27 19:19:02 CET 2003

On 27/10/03 11:01:33, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> This needs to be stated explicitly:
> My intention is to help found an FS org.
This is also my intention.  I also have no intention on arguing (ad
nauseum) specific examples of where the FSF violates its own dogma.
What I intend on arguing is that
	* Freedom to run code for whatever purpose,
	* Freedom to study code (I personally think that this is
generally understated and should be given more importance),
	* Freedom to modify code and,
	* Freedom to distribute code
are benifical to users and the economy in general.  As a producer of
Free code (I user one particular Free Software licence that will
maintain my code as Free Software in the future) I can see methods of
generating income through Free Software.  These methods will require me
to be very knowledegable about software and give the customer exactly
what they want at a fair price.  This situation is a win-win for the
customer but I also believe that I will make a decent wage.  I don't
care if company X go bankrupt because they don't comprehend an new
dynamic in the market.
	This is a situation similar to the position of the record
companies at the moment (and I'm obviousally not advocating infringing
copyright, just making a point about dynamic markets) where their
production and distribution methods are being quickly being outmoded.
I don't care if the music companies die, once artists get reasonably
paid for their work.  The music companies, like current propritery
software companies, are using an outmoded market structure.  The market
structure has changed and they still don't understand it.  If they did,
they'ed convert some or all of their comany to use the new market
structure and not loose sales.
	Sorry for the rambling........

	So the goals of IFSO I like to see are
	* Education of government on FS matters,
	* Education of business on the role of FS, (I'd like to see
IFSO being the spokespeople that journalists come to when they need to
know about this new OpenOffice or Linux thing.)
	* Envolvement in primary and secondary education (on some
level, don't know exactly how to achieve this at the moment.)
	* ...
That's all for the moment.

--
Thank you,