[Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week

Jimmy O'Regan jimregan at o2.ie
Mon Oct 27 19:54:30 CET 2003

adam beecher wrote:

>>This needs to be stated explicitly:
>>My intention is to help found an FS org.
>>

>This is fine, and since I release some of my code under the GPL, if there
>was anything I could do to help I would. However I'm far from a free
>software purist, I respect the decision of some software developers to
>monetise their skills without having to balance their future on something as
>unreliable as "support" (or worse, options). If the source code of their
>applications is available /to me/, I consider it free and open to an
>appreciable degree. Ireland's size is another factor, but I have to defer to
>Jimmy O'Regan for putting it much better than I could:

I'd just like to say at this point that I veer more towards the Free
Software position than the Open Source position; the point I intended to
make (I tend to ramble, so I probably didn't make it :) was that there
are a lot of people (such as you) who can help promote the goals Ciaran
mentioned who might be put off by the Free Software philosophy (or some
subset).