[Fsfe-ie] stuff from the past week

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Mon Oct 27 03:52:44 CET 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:02:37AM +0000, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:52:30PM +0000, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:
> >Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> >
> >and there is disagreement over [the GFDL] within FSF, change is coming.
>
> rms took part in a quite lengthy debate on debian-legal on this very
> issue; in short the invariant sections are here to stay, where they have
> been used.

RMS's debian-legal posts were indeed dissapointing.  Still, there are
others in FSF that are pushing to have Invariant Sections removable,
and Bruce Perens is arranging discussions between FSF and Debian folk
to try to find something to agree on.  We'll just have to wait and
see.

> An organisation that sets out to promote only free software
> is going to face more difficulty than an organisation promoting open
> source, or an organisation promoting both; open source has mind share,
> and a larger amount of people willing to promote it.

We dissagree and don't seem capable of convincing eachother to switch
positions. (end or sub-thread?)

Your last sentence is one that I could spend hours argueing against.
I've seen lesser debates grind an org to a halt.  I've done the
FS/OSS/both debate a hundred times.  I'm bored of it and I know it's a
time killer.  I just want to get good work done.

FS is my thing, and I'm gonna work damn hard at it.  If others also
want to work on FS issues, then I'd like to form an FS org to
coordinate our work and facilitate others who'd like to get started.

>From the list, and even moreso from the meetings, I know there are
others that have the same goal.  So it will happen, and when we are
fighting common enemys such as software patents, I hope OSS people
will assist us.  Or if an OSS org forms, I hope we can work together
on common fights.

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/