[Fsfe-ie] story running on the register

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Fri Nov 28 12:26:47 CET 2003

Harry Tormey wrote:
> http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/34244.html
>>From story :  "The purpose of patents is to encourage innovation, so
> that you can create something, patent it, make money from it and use the
> money for further innovation," said Karen Murray, a barrister and
> lecturer on IT law at the National College of Ireland. "But the patents
> are published and are available for people who would like to enhance
> that innovation."
>
> Any one have any thoughts on the tone of the story ?

It is unfortunate that, which Karen Murray accurately explained the
*purpose* of patents, she did not comment on how well they achieve their
stated purpose in the realm of software (ie. they fail completely, and
actually raise the cost and risk associated with innovation).

I wasn't aware of the $15B R&D threat, clearly a bluff.  If they were
happy to spend $15B without software patents before, why not now?

Is there a rebuttal to that letter?  If so, does anyone know if it has
been sent to MEPs?

Ian.