[Fsfe-ie] EUCD, status, todo

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Nov 26 21:17:07 CET 2003

Glenn Strong <Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie> writes:
> On , November 26, 2003 at 19:24 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> So she was advising the plenary? Sounds like she'd be an important
> person to talk to!

yup, she's also working on the upcoming IPR directive (changing
copyright violation from offence to crime).  I've told her about the
list.  She's not on it, but could be reading the archives.  Anyway,
she'll be at the next meeting which is great.

> The Attorney General is the advisor to the government on legal
> matters, (and therefore is the chief law officer of Ireland).

ok.

> > I get the feeling that Ireland isn't putting much resources into
> > drafting this implementation.  I think it's just Mr. McGrath, and he
> > also has other work to be doing, so I recommend a low volume of
> > well researched comments.
>
> I think this is a good strategy - are there any other groups in
> Ireland working on this issue we can cooperate with?

not that I know of.  From other work, I've found that Ireland is the
only EU state that doesn't have a digital-rights or Free Software org.
Librarian groups could be working on this, but I haven't found any.

I'll post a shorter summary to ILUG, it might attract some people.

> We could start to put comments together now, based on the likely
> implementation (what other countries have done, particularly the UK
> might be a good guide).

I have a friend in UKCDR that I'm going to milk for info, I'll pass it
on when I do.  The UK implemented a pretty bad interpretation recently:
http://www.ukcdr.org/issues/eucd/ukimpl/
(these comments were about a draft, but the final implementation was
 very similar)

> Anybody know whether the approach taken by EFF-Finland[0] would be useful
> to study?

It would be a long shot, but no harm in trying.

> Is anybody interested in a meeting tomorrow? We
> could have an informal gathering to push forward the IFSO issues.

I could be there.  2000h at Benshaws I presume.
Anyone else?

[0]http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/pressrelease-2003-01-31.html

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/