[Fsfe-ie] IFSO vrs. Alternatives

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Fri Nov 7 01:47:00 CET 2003

Aidan Delaney <adelaney at cs.may.ie> writes:
> > the Irish dimension - the Irish name, and promoting the
> > translation of free software in to Irish. To me this is
> > a side issue of little relevance to main debate.
>
> Kinda true, but the main difference between IFSO/IOAF and any other
> Free Software org is that we would also try to do Irish language
> specific stuff.

Translating software to Irish is a good idea (it may even allow us to
get funding), but I don't see that it should be a defining goal of IFSO.

I would have said the main IFSO difference is that we will operate in
Ireland, focusing on threats to software freedom in Ireland, and
providing a information point for Free Software in Ireland.

The charter is for what we all agree to persue.  So how about forming a
Free Software org, and have Irish language translation of FS as a
project supported by IFSO?

(whether the name says "Free Software", "Software Freedom", "Software
Libre", or is something with the word "Liberty" in it, doesn't bother me
much.  My preference is for "Free Software", since that's the name of
the movement we are representing, but it's not a show stopper for me.
"IFSO" does have a good ring to it though.)

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/