[Fsfe-ie] Princeton troll

Aidan Delaney adelaney at cs.may.ie
Thu Nov 6 06:08:51 CET 2003

> > project planning
> >
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev
Same with GCC, Python etc...

> > quality control
> >
> http://qa.php.net/
Umm Debian

> Again, these guys do an absolutely enormous amount of work.
>
> > coding standards
> >
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.php
There are Free Software coding standards for every language (except
Perl maybe:) and there are usually Emacs modes to support developers to
use them.

> > accountability
> >
> This is a difficult one to call. I personally feel that PHP's vast
> install
> base creates accountability and major responsibility, but I guess
> many
> Chief
> Something Officers won't see it the same way.
Who is accountable for propritery software?  No-one if you have big
enough pockets.  Anyhow, this probably dosn't apply in the EU where
Free Software developers ARE accountable for their software.

> > version control
> >
> This one strikes me as a little odd when you consider just how many
> projects
> are stored in CVS. Perhaps CVS isn't considered good enough?
GNU Arch is the _best_ version control system I have ever used bar
none, and I've used several propritery systems in my time (SourceSafe,
Clearcase)

> > support
> >
> And this one is like accountability, I could link to hundreds of
> sites
> here.
> I personally would take community support over "proper" support any
> day of
> the week, but I would concede that there's a certain amount of skill
> involved in seeking it out.
I like community support, but you can get support for GNU/Linux or
OpenOffice.  Buy a support licence from IBM, Sun, SuSe, RedHat,
Mandrake or a local support company.

--
Thank you,
Aidan Delaney.