[Fsfe-ie] Cumann Scóp-Ríomhoideas na hEireann

David Golden david at oldr.net
Sun Nov 2 22:02:53 CET 2003

On Sun 02 Nov 2003 15:23, David O'Callaghan wrote:

> Yes, but bogearraí is also given here.

Hmm...  Which brings me to the other worrying problem with the word:

Just imagine sitting in a Galway pub and explaining that you and your friends
are the western chapter of Cumann saor-Buggery na hEireann...

> I'm getting a better idea of what you mean now. Scope (or Scóp) to
> explore, experiment, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

> By the way, how do we translate this back into English?!

Dunno, my vo...voca... word stuff has decreased since that Dawson's Creek show
went off the air.

> Of course, but you might have to invent one in English too! Scopic
> Software, perhaps?

Well, Scopical is an English word according to Dictionary.com  - but it's an
adjectival form of radioscopy...

Scopeful?  Seems to see a little web use as "having scope" alright, but
perhaps it doesn't really capture the "freedom" well enough.

> I think that Saor is the best word to use, despite its ambiguity, and it
> seems to be the common way to translate Free (as in freedom) into Irish.

"Saoirse 's Scóp" has a nice ring to it though, if you need a slogan...