[Fsfe-ie] Irish Times article, my feedback

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Mon Jul 28 12:10:32 CEST 2003

Hi Ben,
  I'm afraid you've called my bluff on the "irlgov is Microsofts
biggest customer" bit.  I reckon it's true simply because I can't
think of a larger employer of office staff.  I'll try to dig up a
decent reference for this. (does anyone have any they know of?)

  I agree with your comments about my dictator/comrade terminology,
I'll use your vendor lock-in and associates (or similar) in future.

  (If 92% of desktops only used Free Software Linux-based OSs, would I
call it a dictatorship? Well, who would be the dictator?  How would
the rule of the dictator be enforced?)

  You're right about needing to be rigourous regarding facts.  I gave
myself a bit of slack since the mail was from me as an individual, but
if/when "we, the list" get organised, we will need internal reviews of
statements before they get sent.

Thanks for the feedback.
ciaran.