[Fsfe-ie] Irish Times article, my feedback

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Sun Jul 27 00:04:53 CEST 2003

Hi all,
  In Friday's Irish Times there was an article on page 4 of the
business section titled
 "Linux popularity is swelling but advocates must spread the word".

  It was a journalists account of a "Linux" press conference chaired
by Linus Torvalds, John Hall, and spokesmen from Oracle, SuSE, RedHat,
and VA Software.

  I mailed the following response to the author, the jist of it is
that it's the GNU project and the Free Software movement that really
needs advocates.  I thought I'd forward it here in case anyones
interested.  I'll let the list know if I get a response.

  My comments near the end about an Irish Free Software organisation
are hopeful guesses.  I made no reference to this list so I'm
representing myself alone.  I'd like to see such an organisation
emerge from this list, I have some ideas which I'll mail to the list
later.

Ciaran.

----- Forwarded message from Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at member.fsf.org> -----