[Fsfe-ie] Letter about EUCD implementation

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Fri Dec 12 12:53:31 CET 2003

Hi there.

At last night's meeting, Teresa Hackett gave us an overview of the
situation with the EUCD.

Some conclusions:
* Although it could have been worse, the EUCD is very bad.
* It is now law and there is nothing we can do about it.
* The Irish Government is compelled to implement a compatible law and if it
  doesn't it will get into trouble.
* The only thing we can do is try to influence the interpretation.

Another issues was raised:
* The "Enforcement Directive" is currently working its way through the
  system. This is concerned with the penalties for infringements under
  the EUCD, and whether they will be crimes or not. Joy!

Anyway, I've started working on the letter which expresses our concerns
about the draft of the Irish implementation.

The material I've attached focuses exclusively on Section 374. I'd
appreciate your opinions, changes, criticisms on any or all aspects of
the document. Especially important is ensuring that my reading of the
laws are correct.

I will continue to work on that section and start working on the other
aspects of the draft over the weekend.

Good luck,

Malcohol.