[Fsfe-ie] Re: Copyright and the EUCD

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Mon Dec 8 17:40:00 CET 2003

> I've cut Malcolm's email up in to 7 bits and put it here
> http://testers.mkdoc.com/hidden-fsfe-ie/

Thanks!

I found that UKCDR have a very good summary page:

http://ukcdr.org/issues/eucd/

I think that the key issue we should focus on is:
"Why fair dealings are good?". If you disagree with this
emphasis, please say.

We should try to find several arguments that suggest that
fair dealings (which is the European term for "fair use", I
think) are useful for:
* consumer
* society
* economy
* academia
* libraries
* etc
With such arguments, we may be able to persuade people that
fair dealings are worth keeping and laws which restrict them
are undesirable.

This will mean that we can avoid appealing to an abstract
notion of "rights".

Good luck,

Malcolm.