[Fsfe-ie] Videoshop Mark 2

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Fri Dec 5 22:36:59 CET 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 11:06, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > Can we make it clear that we don't think this is innovative, but similar
> > obstacles would apply. Or we could just change to an example of how
> > ridiculous any sort of web based selling is in patent-land.
>
> It may not be innovative in technology terms, but it could be seen as an
> innovative business idea if the market was right.  For example, E-Bay
> was not the first online auction site, they weren't really a technology
> innovator, but few would deny that they are a business innovator, not
> because they were first, but because they were best.

Yes but but even implying it's an innovative business idea is a no-no when you
bring business model patents into the picture. I can't remember if they're
also included in the current fight.

Rather than phrasing the whole thing in terms of an innovative business
(whterh you can find an innvovative example or not), you may gain more allies
by showing how the whole patent quagmire will effectively keep the many
already established companies from doing business on the net,