[Fsfe-ie] Videoshop Mark 2

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Dec 5 16:43:09 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 00:34, John Evans wrote:
> Hi
>
> A hiberno-english image (of an original danish picture
> http://www.it-pol.dk/sager/swpat/videoshop) of what you would have to pay
> for in the new software patented www can be seen at:
>
> http://www.e-xamit.ie/swpat/video.htm

I was under the impression that the patents on LZW compression (as used
in GIFs) and RSA encryption had now expired. If I'm right, I think these
should be removed from the diagram.

Also, could you produce a PNG version? This would look nicer and should
be viewable by most people.

I'm not sure what to think about the "India" comment at the end. Would
some of these patents apply to the client-side software (e.g. Internet
Explorer)? If so, maybe your clients (and Microsoft?!) would have to
move to India too!

David